Today's blog: Summary of grandmas week long visit to Doha on Jan 30th to Feb 6th.

I know this was a while ago, at least 4 weeks to be exact, but I didn't have the time to put up this blog post then and following the unfortunate events afterwards, I have only brought myself to do it now. I just want to touch upon the holiday we spent with my grandma as I really, really enjoyed it. I think it's the fact that family you love are coming to see you from the other side of the world, and it's that happy feeling of seeing their face in a morning that makes you feel so much more at home.



 Of course, we visited all the different tourist attractions in Doha, as that's what you do when you visit a new country right?
Because it was our half term holiday, we were off school too which gave us the chance to go out more often - even though I did develop a cold in this chilly winter of ours at 29 degrees (I'm being completely sarcastic. But I did have a cold).

So, we visited the Museum of Islamic Art - which in my opinion, is actually really beautiful. It's architecture is amazing, and it's extremely unique; the whole design of the museum is very symmetrical and geometrical (very much like Islamic art itself) and it looks over the sea horizon and the Corniche... in fact, I adore being there. It's lovely. We did also visit the Pearl, Katara...I mean,the weather was nice.
I think that explains why one day I woke up thinking my Grandma had dissappeared, but no... she was sat outside. On a chair. In the sun..."soaking up the warmth". Well, it's good for her joints at least!


We took a Dhow (traditional boat) trip along the Corniche just at sunset, and it was honestly such an amazing experience.

The fresh sea breeze and the smell of salt water, with music playing and your family by your side; it is one of the best feelings ever, and truly made me stop to think how grateful I am, and how appreciative I am of what I have.

The sun setting behind the skyscrapers and its array of colours rippling across the waves of the sea and floating over above us in the sky... The view was incredible. It's awe-inspiring to realise how much beauty there really is all around you, if you just learn to really look for it. (:

I think what I really learnt after my Grandma's visit though, was not just appreciating the beauty around me, because I could have noticed that any day. Her visit was merely an excuse for us to go out. I realised that we have the ability to make everyday count; but most of all, to really appreciate the people around you. Yes, we had moved half-way across the world, and it is all a new experience, but after not seeing someone for so long, you just want to spend time with them. Because that's what matters most. Not all the materialistic stuff.
One day, it's all going to be gone. People are going to be gone. So after this week, I honestly caught onto the fact that life is simple - spread love, and be happy in the moment. Keep the people you love most close to you. In the long term, when you look back on your life, that is what will count.



0 Comments