Today, unfortunately, my grandma has passed away.
It's such a hard thing to go through, and I just have a couple of things to say. 
Last week, my other grandma (my mums mum) came to visit us here and stayed for about 8 days. If I had to compare her health to that of my other grandmas, she is extremely well. But that doesn't mean I habe nothing to worry about. Her arms and legs were aching terribly, she told me, and even though she's able to walk without a stick and cook for herself, it doesn't mean I should leave her be. In fact, I spent most of my down time massaging her arms and walking on her legs as she requested in order to make her feel better. All I want is for her to feel better. In life, I fell as if we all get caught up in so many different things that we forget how old and fragile are loved ones are becoming, and with so much work nowadays, it's hard to spend the time that you need with them. Yesterday when my dad got a call from the doctor of my grandma, he rushed to the airport to fly over to Pakistan. He was planning on going next week, but life doesn't wait. I've learnt this the long way. Time does not stop, and things just keep on going... and going, and going. And now, my beloved grandma has passed. And time is still ticking. We choose to grieve, and yes, I have cried and slept the day out today. But now I'm writing this because I want to feel the importance of love and compassion towards others, towards my grandma and all the suffering she went through. 9 years ago, when I was only 5 years old, my grandma had a stroke. I can't remember her before this time - all my memories are of her laying in the bed or sat in her wheelchair or stumbling with the help of my uncle on her walking stick. She had been in this state for so so long,it was just something that we got used to. Which is why I thought she'd be able to fight it out in that hospital last night. I thought she'd be able to keep on surviving like she has for the past 9 years. But I was wrong. I feel like the worst part, however, was seeing how over the years she had in fact been improving. We visited Pakistan once every year and every time I visited, I saw an improvement. One year she'd be trying to sit up in the bed herself without help, and the next year she'd be able to walk all the way across the room with only one steady hand supporting her. However, a couple of years ago she had another stroke, which sent everything crumbling back to the bottom. And since then, it started getting worse. Half of me saw it coming, especially when I went only in December this year, she started having amnesia, memory problems and she seemed so confused. It was distressing. And when I saw my mum pick up the phone today, I was praying it wasn't bad news - that it was just my dad calling to say he'd arrived safely or something along those lines... I saw it coming, but I was praying so hard. Yet things happen for a reason. She died, and God stopped her suffering. She now rests in peace, and as time ticks on, so do we. We have to move on and just love compassionately and limitlessly in the life we are living today. Love is the key.


                                (my grandfather:)

                            

0 Comments