My exams are coming up very soon.

And, as you know (if you read my last post) I am really trying to have some control over what I eat, and be happy with everything that's going into my body.

Especially at a time like this, I want to be feeling my very best; I want my brain to be fuelled, and my immune system all up and running so that I can be feeling as good as ever ready to smash these exams! 

Hence, why I decided to give these Energy Balls a try!

I had a vague idea of what these'd be like, as I took inspiration from a number of different sources, such as Pinterest and bakers such as DeliciouslyElla and Jamie Oliver.

But! I made this a version of my own - mainly because I didn't have all the ingredients that were called for in other recipes, yet also because it is a recipe that can be experimented with.

So, my version of my recipe is going below, but feel free to alter and add or take away anything you'd like.

These are great as a quick study snack, or to have a quick breakfast if you're in a rush in the morning because you can make them in advance and refrigerate for like a week??? or something (I don't know how long they'll last exactly - I eat them in the first 3-4 days max!)


INGREDIENTS:
  • Food Processor 
  • Dates (around 25-30 / more or less is fine; kept in mind the amount you use will be the base.)
  • Cocoa powder (1tbsp)
  • Oats (1 1/2 tbsp)
  • Nuts of your choice (2tbsp)  - I used almond flakes, though feel free to use any nuts you like (eg. cashews) I recommend pre-chopping them beforehand in order to make them easier to blend).
  • Seeds (1tbsp) eg.flax/chia/sunflower etc.
  • Coconut oil (1tsp) optional - this will just help bind everything together.
  • cinnamon/nutmeg (1tsp) optional
  • turmeric (1/2tsp) optional
  • Dessicated coconut optional - for presentation! Roll your balls in this at the end!  
You can also add whatever else you would like - as I said, this recipe is totally flexible, and I'd say that the dates are really the only compulsory thing you need - everything is up to you!

  1.  Add the dates into your processor and blend. (be patient - they take a while!) If your dates are soft, you'll be okay. If they're a little bit more firm, add a splash of water, but not too much. If they're extremely firm or hardened, then you can leave them to rest in some boiling water for a few minutes to allow them to soften! Then add them into the food processor and wait - the food processor will take its time to work its magic.
  2. When the dates have worked themselves into a sort of paste, add in the powders (cocoa, and optional cinnamon/nutmeg/tumeric). You can even add additional protein powder, if you'd like.
  3. While blending, add in the oats and then slowly, the nuts/seeds.
  4. Now would also be the time to add in coconut oil, if you want - but test out your mixture first because there may be no need to do so.
  5. That's it! It is really that simple. Now, with slightly wet hands, scoop out evenly sized balls of the mixture and (optionally) roll them in some dessicated coconut - or whatever else you fancy.
  6. Store in the fridge for about 2 hours and they should be firm enough to enjoyably eat!
Happy Cooking!

1 Comments